Arabiyyat al-Naas (Part Three): An Advanced Course in ArabicBy Yomna MuntherChami
- Author: Yomna MuntherChami
- Binding: Paperback
- Publisher: Routledge
- Published: 2014-06-11
- Edition: 1
'Arabiyyat al-Naas (Part Three): An Advanced Course in Arabic builds further on the groundbreaking approach used in Part One and Part Two of the series. It integrates Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and spoken Levantine in a way specially tailored to the needs of advanced students. Levantine Arabic strongly features in spoken discussions of MSA materials, reflecting authentic practice by native speakers. However, the overall ratio of MSA - the form employed for reading, writing and formal speaking in the Arab world - to Levantine has been increased, supporting students' mounting need for MSA as they progress further in their education.
This textbook is designed to take learners from the Advanced Low to the Advanced High level according to the ACTFL criteria, and from level B2 to C1 on the CEFR proficiency scales.
- 18 theme-based units covering topics such as Arab minorities; education; religion; love and marriage; the Arab woman; economics; politics; military matters; and the environment
- thorough coverage of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills with clear grammar explanations and lessons structured to provide opportunities for further practice
- humorous, realistic dialogues reflecting educated speech among Arabs, to build up strong and practical communication skills
- attention to issues highly relevant to modern Arab society, encouraging active engagement with the course and further exploration of the themes
- a rich variety of reading passages from contemporary sources such as Al Jazeera as well as excerpts from the classic works One Thousand and One Nights and Kalila wa Dimna
- an extensive range of stimulating exercises and activities, including crossword puzzles, root-and-pattern identification exercises, passage completions, and free compositions
- free companion website (www.routledge.com/cw/younes) with the audio tracks, and texts of the listening passages and answer key.
Developed by a dynamic author team and tested over a number of years at Cornell University, 'Arabiyyat al-Naas (Part Three) is an essential resource for advanced-level students of Arabic. While primarily designed for classroom use, the accessibility of the course also renders it highly suitable for independent study.
This volume is the final installment of a pioneering three-part series of Arabic textbooks which together provide a complete three-year undergraduate language program.
Munther Younes and Yomna H. Chami both teach Arabic at Cornell University, USA.