Learning Disabilities A to ZBy Corinne Smith
- Author: Corinne Smith
- Binding: Hardcover
- Published: 1997-06-12
- Edition: 1
A great deal has been discovered about learning disabilities in the past decade, but much of this information has been slow to reach the general public. Finally, Learning Disabilities: A to Z brings the best of recent research and educational experience to parents, teachers, and care givers who are responsible for children with information-processing problems. Writing with warmth and compassion, Corinne Smith and Lisa Strick provide a comprehensive guide to the causes, identification, and treatment of learning disabilities. You will learn how these subtle neurological disorders can have a major impact on a child's development, both in and out of school. Learning Disabilities: A to Z also supplies a wealth of practical and innovative strategies for helping youngsters with learning disabilities become successful, from their earliest days in preschool, through the college years and beyond.
AMONG THE SUBJECTS COVERED IN THIS VALUABLE HANDBOOK ARE:
- how to recognize a learning problem that won't be "outgrown"
- how to get a competent evaluation
- how to design an educational program that targets a student's strengths (not one that focuses only on weaknesses)
- how to negotiate effectively for what a child needs at school
- how to recognize (and avoid) dead-end practices that rob students of motivation and self-esteem
- how to help young people become more successful socially
- how to manage problem behaviors at home
- how to plan for success in college and career